Irrefutably, the e-liquid is the life of a vaping device. It is this tiny bottle of fluid that can decide your entire vaping experience. Among all other decisions that you make when you start vaping, picking the right kind of e-liquid holds the most importance. Does it seem very daunting? Whether you are only beginning to vape or have become a pro, deciding the right e-liquid might be a tricky one. Fret not, for here is all you need to know to pick the most suitable e-liquid for your needs.
What is e-liquid?
An electronic vape produces vapour for you to inhale by heating a fluid called e-liquid. While it goes by many names like vape juice or e-juice, the task performed by them is the same. The vape heats the liquid to a temperature range of 200 degrees Fahrenheit to 400 degrees Fahrenheit so that it starts producing vapour. Since it does not involve burning or combustion, vaping e-liquid becomes a healthier alternative to smoking.
Wondering what goes into it? Your favourite bottle of e-liquid contains water, nicotine, flavours, and vegetable glycerine or propylene glycol. While the food-grade flavours allow you to enjoy different flavours while vaping, it is the presence of nicotine that gives you smoking like experience. While Vegetable Glycerin or VG and Propylene Glycol of PG makes up for 90% of the e-liquid, the rest of the ingredients only account for the remaining 10%. They are odourless and colourless fluids that form the base of your e-liquid. Storing e-liquid is easy and keeping them away from direct sunlight keeps them from getting spoilt. It is the best way to store your cannabis stash or e-liquid for a long time.
How to pick the right e-liquid?
Now that you know what e-liquid is and what it contains, here are a few steps to help you decide how to pick the right one for you:
- Decide the PG/VG content: When you go and ask your fellow vapers how they choose the most suitable e-liquid, the answer might be the ratio of PG and VG content. Each bottle of e-liquid contains both vegetable glycerine and propylene glycol. While most manufacturers use the rule of thumb and go with a 50/50 blend of VG/PG fluids, others might have a different ratio. To pick the right ratio, it is essential to understand how they affect the liquid.
- Propylene Glycol: It is a petroleum byproduct that you can in plenty of other products like makeup, lotion, face wipes, and even medicine. PG is a thin liquid that will not leave any residue on your device. The e-liquid with PG content offers a stronger hit and much more intense flavor as it doesn’t have a taste of its own.
- Vegetable Glycerin: As the name suggests, VG is a sweet liquid that comes from vegetable oil. Unlike PG, vegetable glycerin has high resistance to heat, which means that you won’t get a burnt taste even if you use it at a higher temperature. You can get big clouds of vapor and sweet taste when you pick the e-juice that contains more of VG.
Takeaway: If you want to get a stronger hit with small clouds of vapour, you can go with e-liquid that has higher PG content. On the other hand, a VG based e-liquid will give you big vape clouds and intense flavor. Still, confused? You can start with a PG to VG ratio of 40:60 for an excellent vaping experience.
- Check the nicotine levels: The next major thing you must consider is the nicotine content. Nicotine is a stimulant present in cigarettes and e-liquid that decides how they will impact you. If you are a regular smoker and are switching to vaping as a healthier alternative, the nicotine content might determine if you will get the same hit you got while smoking.
Takeaway: If you are only beginning your journey of vaping and have limited experience, taking an e-liquid with 1.5 to 6mg of nicotine per milliliter of the fluid can be a safe choice. But, if you were smoking an entire pack of cigarettes in a day, you fall into the category of medium nicotine consumption. You can opt for an e-liquid that contains 6 to 12mg/ml of nicotine. Lastly, if you smoked more than a pack a day and have sufficient experience, you can pick the e-liquid with 12 to 18mg/ml of nicotine. The ones who are trying to quit smoking can also go with a nicotine-free juice found at reputed online stores.
- Pick your favourite flavour: It is the flavours of e-liquid that makes vaping an instant hit, especially among the youngsters. You can get your hands on the favourite flavours, ranging from deserts to fruits, cocktails to tobacco, and everything in between.
Takeaway: When you are just starting out, go for sure shot flavours that you know you will like. You can start experimenting once you get the hang of it.
- Keep in mind the device you use: Last and a very crucial thing to consider is the device that you have. The markets today are flooded with all different kinds of vaping devices. You need cartridges for some and pre-filled juice pods for some, but a major chunk of devices have a tank that you can refill with e-liquid.
Takeaway: Broadly, the electronic vapes are of two types, Sub-ohm or Direct Lung Devices and Mouth to Lung Devices (MTL). The MTL devices mimic the smoking experience and work better with PG based e-liquids that also have higher nicotine content. A Sub-ohm device will work better with a VG based e-liquid.
Investing in a suitable e-liquid can sound like a tricky decision. While there are a ton of things for you to consider, it is not that difficult. All you need to do is take into account the device you use, your nicotine consumption, choose the right flavour, zero in on the suitable VG/PG ratio, and you will find the best-suited e-liquid for yourself. You will only know what you like or don’t when you start using it. It is time to buy a bottle of e-liquid and enjoy the best vaping experience.