The legalization of both medical and recreational marijuana has seen many people using it for various health issues. Typically, THC, CBD, and other cannabinoid’s interaction with the endocannabinoid system lead to homeostasis. A study reveals that cannabinoids can help with multiple sclerosis, chronic pain, and chemotherapy-induced vomiting and nausea.
Bongs, vaporizers, joints, and blunts are some of the ways to consume cannabis. Nonetheless, this post focuses on bongs.
What is a bong?
A bong is a popular device that uses water to filter and cool cannabis smoke before the user inhales. Bongs have been around for many years.
Bongs come in different sizes and shapes. Some bongs only have a chamber and bowl. Whereas, others, including diamond glass bong, are colorful, mouth-blowing pieces of art.
A dirt bong may potentially lead to lung infections and respiratory issues in the long-term. Cleaning your bong improves the experience as it may help deliver a soothing taste and better of CBD.
A clean bong gives smoother hits and superior high and helps the user receive the effects of the cannabinoid within a short period. Thus, it may not lead to coughing that comes with harsh vapor.
The resin that accumulates in a bong is injurious and toxic to a person’s physical and mental health. Thus, cleaning your bong helps remove such a dangerous substance.
For heavy smokers, it is advisable to clean their bongs every 1-2 days. Also, change the dirty bong water every day as dirty water may encourage the growth of bacteria.
How to clean a bong?
You can clean a bong using some household items, and alcohol/vinegar, among other items. The tools you will use to clean your bong depends on the cleaning technique you adopt.
Cleaning a bong with water
The items you need when cleaning a bong with water only are:
- Paper towels or microfiber cloths
- A large pan to hold the device
- Pipe cleaners
- A cup of lemon juice
- Purified water
Steps to follow:
- Fill pan ¾ with filtered water.
- Place the saucepan over the heat. Add lemon juice when the water starts to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low until the boil simmers.
- Slowly and cautiously immerse the bong in the lemon/water solution since leaving a small part of the bong outside the solution may lead to cracking. Allow some time to seethe for around thirty minutes.
- Drain the water and wipe clean each part of your bong with pipe cleaners and paper towels.
Cleaning a bong with alcohol
This the most popular method of cleaning a bong amongst all bong-cleaning techniques. The items to use are:
- Plastic gloves
- Coarse salt
- A sink basin
- Rubbing vinegar
- Cotton, fabric, or cork to plug the bong’s stem
- Pipe cleaner
Steps to follow:
- Wear the gloves and your cleaning area should be in a place/space with proper ventilation.
- Disassemble the bong.
- Use warm water to rinse every compartment of the bong.
- Pour the coarse salt into the device.
- Fill the bong with alcohol.
- Plug the device’s tube and stem using a cloth, fabric, or cotton.
- Make sure that you thoroughly plug each hole, then shake your bong robustly for 5+ minutes.
- Plug the sink drain and fill up its basin with alcohol and coarse salt.
- Dip the bong entirely in the solution and leave it inside to soak for a few minutes or even some hours. The time to soak the device depends on the nature of the accumulated dirt.
- Drain the solution, use the pipe cleaners to scrub the inside as well as crevices of the devices.
- Rinse each compartment of the bong using hot water.
Cleaning a bong with vinegar
The tools to use are the same as the ones you use with alcohol, but you will need baking soda instead of coarse salt.
Steps to follow:
- Fill your bong with warm water and shake it vigorously while covering its shaft and mouthpiece. Dispose of the water.
- Empty the baking soda into the bong and ensure that it clings to nearly all the surface of the inside of the device.
- Leave the bong for some hours. Some people prefer leaving it overnight.
- Add more baking soda and pour a cup of vinegar into the bong. There will be bubbling when vinegar encounters the baking powder. The size of your bongs determines the amount of vinegar to use. Thus, large bongs require more vinegar.
- Cover the shaft and mouthpiece, then shake the device.
- Use a marvel and long brush to scrape the inside of the device to remove the dirt.
- Rinse the bong using warm water until there is no baking soda, vinegar, and dirt.
Tips to take care of a bong
Bongs require regular maintenance for a better smoking experience. Research shows that pot smokers might breathe a little easier. Nevertheless, here are some tips to help you keep your bong in good condition.
- Ensure to clean the device regularly.
- Use eco-friendly tools or substances to clean a bong.
- Avoid using dangerous chemicals.
- Do not procrastinate your care for the device.
- Avoid smoking accumulated resin.
- Be consistent while using a bong.
Besides giving you a better experience while smoking, a clean bong also may help keep you healthy and safe. Depending on what you have or buy, the above methods may help you clean your bong. Luckily, many people have most of the items to use at home, making it a cheaper process.
Also, it is easy to know when your bong needs cleaning. Some of the indications of a dirty bong are resin, discoloured bong water, visible white or grey mould haze on the resin, and visible slimy film on the inside of the bong.